Board Chair Jan Hall and Commissioners Heidi Doo-Kirk, Garry Gamble, Sue Hakes and Bruce Martinson were all present for today's County Board Meeting. Also present were County Administrator Jay Kieft, County Auditor-Treasurer Braidy Powers, Assistant County Attorney Jeanne Smith and Administrative Support Bev Wolke.
No member of the public opted to come before the Board.
Office of Planning and Zoning
The County Board approved (2) Conditional Use Permits (CUP) as presented by OPZ Director Tim Nelson and Planning and Zoning Administrator Bill Lane.
1) A CUP was approved for Jean Kloster-Jezierski and Edward Kloster allowing the continued use of a recreational vehicle for storage on property adjacent to Maple Hill Road.
2) A CUP was approved for Paul Goettl to modify an internally illuminated sign at the Clearview Store in Lutsen.
Cook County Local Energy Project (CCLEP)
The County Board approved 3-2 (Doo-Kirk and Gamble opposed) $2000 to support a coordinator position for CCLEP. The City of Grand Marais previously approved $2000 in support of a coordinator.
The Board authorized the purchase of a 2015 GMC Sierra 4WD Crew Cab Pick-up to replace the 2005 pickup that was totaled in a rollover accident last summer. This $36,476.81 purchase (less $16,313.75 insurance payout) will be paid from the Highway Department Equipment Reserve account.
With regrets, the board accepted the resignation of William Kloster and authorized the Highway Department to advertise and begin the process of filling the Maintenance Worker 2 position vacated by Kloster.
- The Board approved (2) liquor licenses: 1) Gail Thompson for Clearview General Store, and 2) Lisa Mesenbring for Chicago Bay Marketplace.
- The Board delegated by motion the authority to approve depositories of county funds to the Couty Auditor-Treasurer's Office.
- Auditor-Treasurer Braidy Powers notified the Board that local banking institutions have been evaluated for services and fees; Grand Marais State Bank was selected as the local depository as of June 1, 2014.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month!
At the urging of Joni Kristenson (County Public Health), Jodi Yuhasey (Violence Prevention Center), Grace Bushard (County Social Services), and Beth Farone (County Social Worker for Child Protection) the County Board proclaimed April as Child Abuse Prevention Month. Child abuse is an issue that affects all members of our community and finding solutions depends on involvement among people throughout our community!
County Administrator, Jay Kieft
County Administrator Jay Kieft noted a 3rd Work Session of the County Board will be held to improve its effectiveness, discuss the role of the County Administrator and identify core values.
A complete copy of meeting minutes from today's meeting may be found on the Cook County webpage or by calling the County Administrator's office at 218/387-3602. Alternatively, a video of this meeting may be viewed in its entirety by going to Boreal.TV.